Pardon me if I didn't get up early this morning to go shopping. It's just not in my blood. The mere idea of getting up early on a day off is bad enough all by itself, but getting up to go shopping? Sorry, I know I'm missing the point, but you won't see me elbowing anyone in any store any time soon.
I saw a great photo in Facebook this morning. A friend of mine, who always tends to live on the sarcastic side of the street, had posted it. It was a Black Friday shopping photo, with people pushing and shoving each other to get in the doors of whatever store it was. It was the caption that brought a smile to my face (and I'm certain to many others). The overlaid words inscribed on the photo: "Black Friday - When people trample others for cheap goods mere hours after being thankful for what they already have."
Another Facebook favorite this morning was from TakeMeFishing.org, showing 2 men in a boat fishing. The caption read "I'd rather cast a line than stand in a line." Turn Black Friday into Fishing Friday; another great idea I could get on board with.
You have to love these if you're a stay-at-home guy like me who wouldn't go out to any store today. It's emblematic of what our lives have become; the world keeps spinning faster and crazier, and you best hold on for the ride if you want to keep up. Thankful yesterday; crazy as hell today. It seems to work for many; personally, I'm staying home to write this story.
On a more serious note, I hope that each of you had a wonderful day on Thanksgiving. It's a terrific day to come together with family and friends, both old and new, to enjoy the bounty that most of us are privy to throughout the year, but don't stop to say thanks for each day. Thanksgiving is non-denominational; you can be of any religious persuasion (or not) and still thank whoever or whatever you believe in for what you have. But most of all, it's a day that brings people of all religions, races and creeds together to share their time, their food, friendship and love; it is a unique day in that sense for most Americans.
It's a day to welcome the new to our table, and to remember those who are no longer with us. My youngest daughter Kerrin had a beautiful baby boy earlier this year. Bradley was at the family Thanksgiving table this year, while my mother was spending the day in a nursing home. She was put on Hospice Care this week; only time will tell the remainder of her story here with us. I'm most thankful for her lifetime of devotion to all of us in my family; she will always have a place at our table.
But back to Black Friday; here's my idea, for what it's worth. I say the stores just have ridiculous prices every day, year-round. Give us everything we could possibly want for next to nothing, and all this craziness will go away. You could only stock a small handful of these blowout deals (you know, just like you do on Black Friday), and people wouldn't all have to go nuts on the same day every year. People could just spend Thanksgiving weekend like they always did; putting up the Christmas or Hanukkah decorations, watching football, eating leftovers and savoring the time spent with loved ones.
Oh hell, my cell phone just rang; it was Wal-Mart telling me my prescription's ready. I guess I'll go pick it up; maybe I'll even look around. Does anyone know where I left my helmet and pads?
Mark T. Bradbury, Author
Literary Associate of Little Pond Publishing
Digital Publisher | eBooks | Marketing
Very entertaining! I ran a Black Friday Special today with a great deal and you could buy it t on line....but no bites...:)
ReplyDeleteMaybe next year you can charter a fishing boat! Really enjoyed this! :) Thanks