Thursday, April 24, 2014

Random Thoughts While Cruising Along at 55 MPH

For those of us who grew up in the sixties and seventies, our lives were affected significantly by that band of Liverpool lads, the Beatles. It didn't matter if they were your favorite rock group (they were mine); they changed music forever and some of the songs they did so long ago still influence us on a daily basis. So it was with a bit of sadness to hear that Paul McCartney is performing in his final concert this summer in San Francisco on August 14th.

It wasn't too long ago that Paul and Ringo were singing together again on a TV special. Everyone involved in that show did a great job, but the real "stand up and cheer" moments happened when the two of them got together for the show's finale. After watching that show, I remember thinking that a possible "reunion" tour wouldn't be out of the question. But retirement? I didn't see that coming; how about you?

This week the world celebrated Earth Day. Social Media brought us a non-stop flood of great photos and videos, and it hasn't ended yet. People everywhere continue to share these posts with us every day, and it would be nice to think that we could expand Earth Day into "Earth Year," a continual array of reminders for us all. Why zero in on one day, when our planet needs us to do whatever we can to help it survive? Act as if every day is Earth Day, and we'll all be better for it!

I read an article from Reuters yesterday that talked about a recent discovery by scientists. The study shows that giant pandas have a "sweet tooth" just like us. It speculates that pandas ate a lot of fruits and sweet things before humans drove them into the bamboo-filled mountains of Asia. Now their diet consists primarily of bamboo. It shouldn't be long before somebody announces a new "Panda Diet" filled with bamboo salads. I hear it's full of fiber!

I've discovered a gem while mining the pages of Facebook. My daily wanderings have brought me to a great page that's worth checking out. The page is "Sue Fitzmaurice, Author." I'm not familiar with her work, but she puts a lot of effort into finding things to make us smile. One of her recent quotes: "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves for we shall never cease to be amused." My kind of stuff!

Do you ever take the time to read the articles about the benefits of a certain food or herb, or even just plain old water? Just this week I've read articles about Apple Cider Vinegar and Garlic, both being described as cure-alls for a ton of ailments, and one about drinking water (even at bedtime). I've tried the turmeric paste shake with some success, but I'm left with one overriding thought; can't some big company just make us all a "wonder supplement" that includes all these ingredients? Imagine a pill we could take once a day that would cure our ills and make us feel like a million bucks? The one drawback to this idea is that if Big Pharma produces this pill it will cost a million bucks! So for now, it's still up to us to make each day as good as it can be; smile whenever you can!

It's that time of year when we Floridians reclaim the beaches, restaurants and roads. By now, most of the winter "Snowbirds" have returned to their homes up north, and we're able to get into restaurants and bars and actually find a good spot to sit and enjoy the view.

My significant other and I went to the beach for a while yesterday and had no trouble finding a parking spot. The beach wasn't deserted, but the people who were there were spread out nicely, giving everybody else a sense of privacy. She and I picked up some shells and watched a few kids who were surfing near us. Just an FYI: for those of you up north looking for a break, April and May are the two best months to visit Florida. Our weather here is beautiful, and you're still wearing heavy coats and cranking up the heat every other day. Just sayin'... 

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my Serpent's Curse sample in the past week. I was pretty excited to see how many of you took advantage of my offer, and I definitely saw a spike in book sales. Hope you're enjoying it! For those of you who didn't catch the freebie, see my link below for another opportunity.

It's baseball season everybody, so go knock one out of the park! Have a great week!

Mark T. Bradbury, Author                                                                                                                          
For information on my eBook, Serpent's Curse, please follow the link:
http://littlepondpublishing.com/book-titles/serpents-curse-by-mark-t-bradbury/

For those of you who would like to try the first seven chapters of my book "Serpent's Curse," please click on the link below:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/1456c9f6ce6cc2b2


No comments:

Post a Comment