Thursday, May 22, 2014

Ten Great Places to Visit Without Leaving Home

I'm a fiction writer, as most of you know. When I write, I try to weave as many real places and historical events into my story as possible. This makes the reader ponder whether or not the fictional story I'm telling actually has some reality to it.

In my first book, Serpent's Curse, I used my knowledge of ancient Mayan culture and their architectural accomplishments still present today in the ruins of their cities in the Yucatan section of Mexico. I had explored all of the archeological sites mentioned in my book, and I tried to bring the reader into the story with my descriptive insertions of  Mayan life.

I also used a factual reference to a major event known as the 1715 Plate Fleet catastrophe. Due to a horrific hurricane in 1715, twelve Spanish galleons loaded with treasures from the New World wrecked along the reefs of the Treasure Coast of Florida, where I live. Those wrecks are still giving up their bounty three hundred years later.

And just to make sure I was making my readers think twice about whether or not the story was true, I inserted local landmarks and people from the town where the modern half of the story takes place. Like in a good movie or television show, these factual insertions draw the reader into the story.

I've started writing a new series of books that deal with a coven of witches and wizards who deal in White Magic. As you might expect, they're the good guys, empowered to fight evil on earth. Their battles and accomplishments over a five thousand year period will be the focus of the tale.

Just about everyone I know has heard about Stonehenge in England. It is one of the great mysteries of the world, and hundreds of explanations and theories abound as to its origins. It's always fascinated me; I've just thought the site was pretty cool. I decided to incorporate Stonehenge into my book somehow.

I began by researching Stonehenge, and that led me to other Neolithic stone sites scattered throughout the United Kingdom. I had no idea there are so many historical stone ruins from that era; it was a mind-boggling experience for me. I spent the next three weeks or so studying up on these various locations, and I am using them as actual places in my new book.

Most of the archeological sites I'm talking about are unique and tell a great story on their own. But the best part is, I've managed to work them into my new book to make it almost real. Could there have been dragons battling with giant eagles in the sky over Ancient Ireland? Maybe.

Here's a list of some of the most fascinating places I've found while meandering through Wikipedia and other reference works. If you enjoy actual history, as I do, get online, go to Wikipedia, and start browsing through the following treasures. I think you'll enjoy the experience, and you'll be ready to believe in the possibilities of White Witchcraft!

          1) Stonehenge - start here, since it is the most famous site
          2) Avebury (Trusloe) - built before Stonehenge
          3) Skara Brae - stone village in Scotland
          4) Maeshawe - a tomb known for its incredible stonework
          5) Ring of Brodgar - Scotland
          6) Bru na Boinne (Newgrange) - Ireland
          7) Dun Aengus - an ancient fortress in Ireland 
          8) Swinside - England
          9) Drombeg (Druid's Altar) - Ireland 
        10) Moel Tŷ Uchaf - Wales

There are hundreds more scattered throughout the U.K. The majority of these sites were built between 2000 - 4000 BC; that appears to be the era when people started settling down, building permanent villages. You may think otherwise, but I believe that magic played a part in these constructions, and I'm sticking to it!

Meme of the day (courtesy of Facebook) - "I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds!" This guy's in trouble!

Have a great weekend everybody! 

Mark T. Bradbury, Author                                                                                                                               
For information on my eBook, "Serpent's Curse," please follow the link:
http://littlepondpublishing.com/book-titles/serpents-curse-by-mark-t-bradbury
It's now available as a paperback at Amazon.com.

For those of you who would like to try the first seven chapters of my book "Serpent's Curse," please click on the link below:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/1456c9f6ce6cc2b2






No comments:

Post a Comment