Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Stop the presses! 5 Crazy Things in the Past Week

Everyone can take a deep breath now; contrary to popular (?) opinion, some of the news and revelations of the past week are now history, and the Earth has continued to spin. The sun has come up (well, at least here in Florida) and it's gone down again, only to repeat the cycle on a daily basis. Amazing stuff!

You all should know by now that I'm a sports fan, but I'm also a "World" fan. I try to pay attention to everything that's happening around the globe, but I'm sure I miss a lot. Here's a few thoughts on some things I've found amusing lately.

Probably the biggest piece of news that has affected my life is the A-Rod story. Since he withdrew his law suits against everybody but Santa Claus and announced that he's going to accept his suspension and not play baseball for the Yankees in 2014, I've been able to sleep so much more soundly. I was torn up by the whole debacle! Seriously, is it me, or does anyone else not care if they ever hear his name again?  Enough, already; go buy a remote offshore island and stay there!

More big news; the NFL is getting ready to accept (or not) a gay player. Please, someone call the league and ask them to update their calendars. It's not 1959 anymore, folks. I recommend that when Russian President Putin is done politically in Russia the NFL should name him Commissioner at once. It would be the perfect balance of stupidity and ignorance. Get over it guys! Michael Sam can play some great ball; draft him!

And how about that Republican Party, breaking the news about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky? Just when you thought you'd heard enough about the "blue dress" it all comes crashing back. Note to the Republicans: if you can't come up with something better than this to defeat Hillary Clinton, you might as well just skip the 2016 elections and (desperately) search for someone bright and shiny. Oh, that's right, you've still got Chris Christie hanging on (for dear life)!

How about Shaun White's decision to skip the Slope-Style Snowboarding event at the Olympics to concentrate on the Halfpipe? After all the hoopla, I don't think fourth place was his goal when he made that decision, but there it is; no medal! My hat's off to all of the other American snowboarders who've really done well. Everybody else, in all the disciplines, too. Congratulations to all; they've been fun to watch!

The worst of it comes from right here in Florida. Gov. Rick Scott and his Attorney General have joined a lawsuit against a coalition of groups seeking to clean up the Chesapeake Bay. Why would they do this, when Florida has a growing crisis with their own waters? Big money, honey! Big Agriculture supports candidates all over the country, and allowing the group in the Chesapeake to set a court precedent to actually restrict certain pesticides and fertilizers inside their watershed could impact future decisions made in the states where politicians are being supported by the Ag conglomerates.

There are currently over 20 states that have joined Florida in this unbelievable venture to stop the Chesapeake group. Over twenty! This is the most serious of my news items this week. It would be funny as hell if it wasn't true, but this is a very sad abuse of power by the states involved. We all need to pay close attention to this before we have no clean water left in our little corners of the world. Help!

There you go; I've covered baseball, football, gay rights, the Clintons, the Republicans, Chris Christie, the Olympics and GREED. Did I miss anything? Oh, yeah ; Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus, but who cares?

As always, please share this to your timelines or forward to your friends if you enjoy. Thanks!

Mark T. Bradbury, Author
Literary Associate of Little Pond Publishing
Digital Publisher | eBooks | Marketing

For information on my new eBook, Serpent's Curse, please follow the link:
 
Serpent's Curse should be available as a paperback from Amazon.com by 2/21/2014. Here's your chance to buy it if you haven't already!

1 comment: