Thursday, June 5, 2014

For All the Kids Out There (Yes, you!)

It's closing in on Father's Day, and the internet and blogosphere are humming with all sorts of ideas about what to get for Dad. Some of the ads are interesting, and many of them are purely promotional. I guess it's no different than anything else; celebrating in our world today means spending money, right?

I follow a fellow blogger who writes about fishing. He's a professional angler who makes his living fishing and writing about it. Not a bad job, for sure! I just finished reading his latest blog a few minutes ago, and he offers up a list of the Top 10 fishing-related items you can get for Dad.

He starts off by making a statement that there's no such thing as enough tackle and gear for the serious fisherman. I used to feel the same way; I bought so many rods and reels and boxes of tackle that I started building what could be called a collection! I bought the ancillary gear required to look the part of a real angler, too, never thinking that I probably didn't need most of the stuff!

But, back to the story. I know so many people who, like me, invested a ton of money in their lifetimes in the pursuit of fish. I love to fish, don't get me wrong. I've got a shed full of tackle and accessories to prove it! I've owned boats, purchased primarily as fishing platforms, and spent thousands of dollars on their enjoyment and upkeep. But you know what?

When I go fishing now, I go into my shed and take a couple of my favorite rods and my lightweight shoulder bag full of tackle. I leave behind all the rest as if they're not even there. I've discovered that simplicity can often be a lot more fun (and much more inexpensive) as anything you can do. Do I need more fishing tackle? Do I need another box filled with all sorts of tackle?

No; I really don't! "With age comes wisdom" I've heard often in my lifetime, and damn if it isn't true sometimes! Well, not all the time; I'm in my sixties now and I'm still known to do some stupid things at times. But I try to make my life simpler as each year goes by.

So, when you're thinking about what to get for your father this year, consider these options. Instead of buying him clothes he won't wear, golf balls he doesn't need, or fishing equipment he has more than enough of, just try something he'll enjoy more than all of them.

Get your family together and take him out for a nice dinner with the gang, or have dinner at your home. If you want to give him a present, buy him a Gift Card so he can get what he actually wants. If he's not nearby, make sure to call him, and let him know what's going on in the lives of you and those around you. Send him a funny card; old farts like me need to laugh as much as we can! Let him know that he's still the King in your mind, and do whatever it takes to show him you care; that's all most of us really need anyhow.

But, enough of that! Let's talk about something funny!

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, but when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank, proving once and for all that you can't have your kayak and heat it, too.

                                
                            LOL!   
                               Thanks to RuralSpin for this one!

Have a great weekend everybody!

Mark T. Bradbury, Author

For information on my eBook, "Serpent's Curse," please follow the link:
http://littlepondpublishing.com/book-titles/serpents-curse-by-mark-t-bradbury
It's now available as a paperback at Amazon.com.

For those of you who would like to try the first seven chapters of my book "Serpent's Curse," please click on the link below:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/1456c9f6ce6cc2b2
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment