For those of you who didn't grow up in the Boston area, "bangin' a U'ey" simply means making a u-turn. We all have colloquialisms no matter where we're from, but I personally think Massachusetts has some of the craziest! And they're all wicked cool!
Back to the U'ey; I've decided to change my blog postings to reflect more on my writing projects. Most of you know that I'm an author, but I'm also certain that most of you haven't read my books. I'd like to change that, so I'm going to focus more on topics that are relevant to what I'm writing about.
My blog will include stories about events that take place in my books, or related subjects that have influenced my writing. The content could be historical, actual, whimsical or comical, depending on which way the wind's blowing that day. But I will always attempt to make it interesting, and I would welcome your feedback as we travel the roads of the fictional tales I weave.
If you've been viewing my Author page on Facebook lately, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about. I've been posting snippets about my books there for the past couple of weeks, with Free links to some of the earlier chapters. I will continue to do that with this new format. Here's today's little nugget:
The Mayans were a curious civilization. They were incredibly intelligent in the ways of science, especially astronomy, but were reviled for their practice of human sacrifice. But for the Mayans, sacrifice was a way into their afterlife.
They actually had a ball game that was played on a large field in a stadium-like arena. The object was to put a small round ball through a stone ring on the sidewall of the arena. Playing this game was an honor for Mayan men, and they fought furiously to win the event. And here's the best part (or the worst, depending on your perspective): the winners were sacrificed to the Gods and the losers were looked down upon as failures.
You think you're stressed out? Under pressure? Mayan culture was so different than what we've come to accept as normal human behavior that it's quite difficult to accept these people as a civilized nation. Yet they devised a calendar that is so perfect scientists today still can't figure out how they did it.
In my book, Serpent's Curse, the story begins with the sacrifice of a young prince. The boy is revered by his people, and is celebrated as a savior before his tragic end. He and the Golden Serpent are cast into a seemingly bottomless well after the ceremony, only to be discovered by Spanish treasure seekers hundreds of years later.
And so begins the Curse! Please take a FREE look at the first seven chapters at the link below:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/1456c9f6ce6cc2b2
For information on my book, "Serpent's Curse," please follow
the link:
http://littlepondpublishing.com/book-titles/serpents-curse-by-mark-t-bradbury/
Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment